Meet the maker: Corin Mellor
SHOP DAVID MELLOR CUTLERY
Join us November 10th 12-4 PM in our Belmont Center store to meet David Mellor's creative director and to learn about their artisanal design and manufacturing process. Explore their wide range of flatware and cutlery and enjoy light refreshments. In the meantime, browse through below to learn more about David Mellor Design and Corin Mellor himself. Browse our wide selection of David Mellor cutlery and save 15% off David Mellor purchases of $100 or more using promo code: Mellor18
- • David Mellor was born in Sheffield, England on October 5, 1930.
- • He is recognized as one of the most well-known designers in Britain, and David Mellor Design has an international reputation for the quality of its design and manufacture.
- • The company began in 1954 when David Mellor started a silversmithing workshop and was commissioned for several design projects.
- • First shop opened in London in 1969.
- • The iconic Pride flatware collection, in silver plate, won Mellor his first Design Centre in 1957.
- • David Mellor believes in the simple principle that well-designed tools can enhance the aesthetic quality in our lives.
- • Its products marry old Sheffield traditions of craftsmanship with contemporary design.
- • David Mellor flatware is manufactured in The Round Building, a purpose-designed, modern factory In Hathersage, England.
- • Designed by Sir Michael Hopkins, it has won numerous architectural and environmental awards.
- • The flatware is made by a small team of highly skilled craftsmen.
- • A high degree of hand finishing is employed to give the flatware its look of perfection.
- • Corin Mellor, David’s son, was born in Sheffield, England in 1966 and trained as a product designer at Kingston University and worked for Yorke Rosenberg Mardall (YRM), the London architectural firm.
- • He succeeded his father as Creative Director of David Mellor Design in 2006.
- • At David Mellor Design, Mellor is responsible for special product development within the company.
- • Chelsea, Corin Mellor's first collection of stainless steel flatware and the brand’s most popular, was launched in 2011.
- • Mellor is a big vintage car design enthusiast.